Written by: Corporate
August 15, 2012 02:48 PM
Glen Echo, Maryland – The Wild Bird Centers of America, Inc. (WBCA), a premiere franchisor of wild bird specialty stores and dealers, has beaten its own “Green” Initiatives goal to significantly reduce its carbon footprint.
In preparation for our 25th Anniversary we set a goal to reduce our carbon footprint by 25%. “By January 2011 we had successfully exceeded a 50% reduction,” says Henrik Lehmann Weng, CEO.
- New innovative recyclable packaging has removed more than a million carbon-heavy non-recyclable birdfeed bags from retail stores in more than 30 states.
- Wild Bird Center shopping bags are now 100% biodegradable.
- Trade-dress carpeting is 100% recyclable.
- The green initiative has helped re-brand the entire business.
- The green initiative is good for business.
Says Henrik Lehmann Weng, CEO: “Customers have embraced our green initiatives and we have been surprised to see positive effects in other areas as well: it has helped build team-spirit among all stakeholders emphasizing that with our can-do attitude, we can achieve great things.
"We live by our credo that we will do better by doing good! We are by no means saints in this field and we still have a long way to go before our corporation is carbon neutral, but our green results have been astoundingly successful and the creativity applied has been encouraging to watch.
"This is a big step in the right direction. This initiative was less work but more fun with better results than we had imagined. Now let your green wave take flight!”